The Information We Collect and How We Collect It
How do we collect information about you?
In any interaction you may have with YorkShawls, we collect information in two possible ways:
- When you directly give it to us (“Direct Data”)
- When you visit our website, register for an account with us, purchase our products, or communicate with us, you may choose to voluntarily give us certain information – for example, by filling in text boxes, or clicking on active buttons on our site, like ‘Add to Basket’. All this information requires a direct action by you in order for us to collect or process it.
- When our systems collect information or data as you use our website (“System Data”)
What information do we collect about you, why do we collect it and what do we do with it?
What are cookies?
A cookie is a small text file that is downloaded onto ‘terminal equipment’ (e.g. a computer or smartphone) when you access a website. It allows the website to recognise your device and store some information about your preferences or past actions in order to improve your shopping experience.
- (1) Site functionality cookies – these cookies allow you to navigate the site and use our features, such as “Add to Basket” and “Add to Wishlist”.
- (2) Site analytics cookies – these cookies allow us to measure and analyse how our customers use the site, to improve both its functionality and your shopping experience.
- (3) Customer preference cookies – when you visit our website, these cookies will remember your preferences (like your language or location), so we can provide a more personalised shopping experience.
- (4) Targeting or advertising cookies – these cookies are used to deliver ads relevant to you. They also limit the number of times that you see an ad and help us measure the effectiveness of our marketing campaigns.
By using our site, you agree to us placing these sorts of cookies on your device and accessing them when you visit the site in the future. If you want to delete any cookies that are already on your computer, the “help” section in your browser should provide instructions on how to locate the file or directory that stores cookies. Please note that by deleting or disabling future cookies, your user experience on our website may be affected.
Our cookies collect two types of information:
- “personally identifiable” information (meaning it can be used to specifically identify you); or
- “non-personally identifiable” information (meaning it relates to you but can’t be used to specifically identify you i.e. anonymous data like your unique customer number).
In this policy, when we explain the different information we collect about you, we aim to confirm if it is personally identifiable or non-personally identifiable information.
The simplest way to explain the specific information we collect about you is to look at every different point of interaction you may have with YorkShawls, as we collect different information at different points in your user or customer journey. These interaction points include the following:
|Action||Information Collected||Direct Data/System Data||Personally Identifiable Information?|
|Browsing our website||Whether you are logged in to your account whilst visiting our website or not, the cookies and code on our website will track your IP address, your location, the type of device you’re using and the browser you’re using. Cookies will also track the date and time of your visit, the pages of the site you visit and how long you spend on those pages.||System Data||No|
|Registering for an account||To register for an account you need to provide us with your name, your business name, an email address and a password, all of which you directly submit. If you register for an account with us by phone, we may also ask you for a contact telephone number.||Direct Data||Yes|
|Saving an item to your wishlist||When you click to add an item to your wishlist, the information about the product is recorded so that the item then appears in the Wishlist section of your account.||Direct Data||Yes – We generate lists that show us which customers have added an item to their wishlist so that we can notify them by email or phone when it is in stock.|
|Logging into your account once registered||When you login, you will need to submit your email address and password. This is so that our systems can log you into the correct account.||Direct Data||Yes|
|Making a purchase (including adding/removing items from your basket)||Adding and removing items from your shopping basket, or updating the quantity of an item in the basket requires a direct button click action by you. Cookies track this so that items remain in your basket as you navigate the website, or so that if you leave the website before checking out the items are still in your basket when you next login. When you proceed to checkout you will need to choose a delivery option. You’ll also need to submit an invoicing address, a delivery address and credit/debit card details depending on your chosen payment method. When you click to submit your order, the information about your order becomes available in the ‘Order History’ and ‘Previously Ordered Items’ sections on the website.||Direct Data||The information gathered when items are added/removed from your basket, and the information about delivery options is not personally identifiable. However payment information and delivery and invoicing information is personally identifiable.|
|Contacting Customer Care or a Sales Representative||When you contact Customer Care, they will need to verify that you are the account holder to prevent fraudulent activity. In order for them to verify who you are, they will need to ask you questions related to your account that personally identify you. Information about your query may also be recorded so that we can research into the matter in order to provide a solution.||Direct Data||Yes|
|Contacting us on Social Media||When you contact us on social media. We can view the profile information you have chosen to share. This can be restricted by updating your privacy settings on the platform itself. If you ask us a question about your order, we may ask you for your email address and order number so that we can verify who we are speaking with before revealing any information about the order in question.||Direct Data||Yes|
|Clicking on YorkShawls banners and hyperlinks generated from our paid advertising||If you view or click on emails that we have sent you, or on banners, hyperlinks or plugins we have placed on our website or other websites, both the fact that you have done so, as well as the address of the site you were on when you did so, is Directly Provided Data that we will record. We will use this information to track and analyse how successful those emails, banners, hyperlinks or plugins are in engaging with you.||Direct|
How We Use Your Information
How We Use Your Information
A number of uses for specific data is already detailed above. But we often need to use lots of different types of information or data collectively in order for us to be able to provide services to you. These more fundamental purposes include the collective use of your information:
- To ensure that our website content is presented effectively for you, making it easier to navigate and complete actions such as adding or removing items from your basket.
- To contact you by phone about your order to ensure you’re happy with the products and service received
- To create and manage your account, so you can place orders and we can provide you with products and services such as notifying you about the progress of your order and providing customer care should you require it.
- To ensure that our customers are genuine and to ensure that we are paid for goods that we dispatch.
- To run credit checks, so that we can set up a credit account for you.
- For the purpose of generating and sending invoices, and liaising with debt collection services if your account goes into arrears.
- Should you choose to supply us with a mobile contact number, this will be supplied to our courier service Royal Mail/My Hermes, who will use this information to send you text updates about your order and its estimated delivery date and time.
- To send you updates on our latest products, news and special offers – if you have registered with us or provided us with your email address and opted in to receive marketing communications from us, we will occasionally update you on our latest products, news and special offers via e-mail, post, telephone or push notifications. If at any time you would prefer not to be contacted by any of these mediums, you can do so by contacting our Customer Care team or clicking this link to unsubscribe from our emails.
- To send important notices about our services such as changes to policies, availability of delivery times, security and any other issues about the functioning of YorkShawls. You will receive service messages even if you have unsubscribed from our mailing list because they usually contain important information about your account, security or the Services which we need to make you aware of. You cannot opt out of service messages for this reason.
- To display YorkShawls banners and ads to you when you’re on certain other websites (Remarketing) – we do this using a variety of digital marketing networks and tracking technologies such as pixels, cookies and ad tags.
- To gather your feedback via polls, surveys and analysis so that we can improve the services and products we deliver to you.
Transfers of your information
- The information that we collect from you may be transferred to, and stored at, a destination outside the European Economic Area (EEA). It may also be processed by staff operating outside the EEA who work for YorkShawls or one of our suppliers. Such processing may, for example, be required in order to fulfil your order, process your payment details or provide support services.
How do we share the information we collect?
- In order for our business to function effectively, we need to work with a number of external companies such as Royal Mail/Myhermes for deliveries and Getresponse for sending out email communications to you. In instances where we need to process your data via a third party, we will always safeguard your information and ensure that our suppliers are also compliant with all applicable data protection laws and regulations.
- As a company which operates in different countries, YorkShawls is obligated to comply with legal requests for data by regulators and law enforcement agencies.
- If we believe that you may be connected with fraudulent or other illegal activity, or have ill-intentions towards YorkShawls, our employees or any of our customers, we will take the necessary action to protect our security and services by working with government enforcement agencies or regulatory bodies. This may involve sharing your information with these parties.
How we DON’T use your information
- We will never share your information with third-party advertisers or ad networks.
- We will never sell your information.
- We have a legal obligation to do so, or,
- You have specifically requested and provided consent to do so
Your Options and Choices
Your options and choices when it comes to the data we hold about you and your business.
- Updating your contact preferences – You can verify the details you have submitted to us by contacting our Customer Care team. Our security procedures mean that we may request proof of identity before we reveal information, including your e-mail address and your business address.
- Updating your personal information – You can also contact us by the same method to change, correct, or delete your personal information controlled by us regarding your profile at any time.
- Updating your marketing preferences – If you have opted in to receiving our newsletter, from time to time we will send you information via email or post regarding our products and services that we think may be of interest to you such as exclusive offers. You can opt-out of receiving marketing communications from us at any time.
- To unsubscribe from our email marketing only, please do one of the following:
- Clicking on the “unsubscribe” link in any email communications which we might send you,
- Email: email@example.com
- Or simply click here.
Once you have completed one of the actions above, we will update your profile to ensure that you don’t receive further marketing emails or communications.
Please note that it may take a few days for all our systems to have update and that you might receive a small number of emails from us while we process your request.
- If you would like to update your contact preferences and opt out of receiving email marketing this may take up to 28 working days to process.
- Closing your account – You can close your account by contacting our Customer Care team. If you decide to close your account, it will be deactivated within 28 working days. Please note that we are required by HMRC to keep records of any transactions for a period of 8 years so we will retain archived copies of your information for this purpose.
- Requesting a copy of your personal data – At any time, you can request a copy of the personal data we hold on our systems about you. If you wish to do so, please contact our Customer Care team who will be able to assist you with your query. We won’t charge you anything for this, but we might need to ask some further questions to confirm your identity before we provide any information.
Protecting Your Information
Protecting your information
We are always striving to make sure your information is protected. As soon as we receive your information, we use various security features and procedures, taking into account industry standards, to try to protect the personal information that you provide and to prevent unauthorised access to that information.
- We offer secure “https” access to the transactional parts of our website
- Access to your data on our website is password-protected, and sensitive data (such as credit card information) is protected by SSL encryption when it is exchanged between your web browser and the payment systems we use.
At YorkShawls we are committed to protecting your personal data, however, there are a number of precautions that you can also take to help us do this. You can keep your account safe by using a strong password that includes characters and numbers as well as letters. We will also encourage you not to use the same password across all or many of your online accounts.
Contacting Us About Your Information
If you have any questions or feedback about this statement, or if you would like us to stop processing your information or make a change or amendment to the information we hold about you, please do not hesitate to contact our Customer Care team, who will be happy to help.
Changes to this Policy
This page was last updated on Monday 23rd April 2018.